Wednesday, February 11, 2009

the sensitivity of being blacker

dear bell hooks,

its an honour to finally write to you, you, whose name defies rules and order, you who is fed up with what is supposed to be. i believe that you have brought to my life what i did not have before, for before, i never had the courage to spit into somebody's thoughts and express the anger i feel inside. you liberated me.i do not say these words to flatter you, for perhaps i will never meet you, but i say them to liberate myself, of thoughts, feelings and chains that tie me up so tightly i can only smile politely for fear of crying out loud.i come from a society that is near-free of direct racism. until i travelled to my present country, i had not encountered the kinds of direct racism that i experience here. as such, your words on racist ideologies are new to me. however, i understand discrimination, ethnic discrimination, color discrimination among blacks, for I lived in a society of blacks only until I was more or less a grown woman. i understand black on black discrimination all too well, and like the child in toni morrison's bluest eye, i am the one who one day realised i was different because i was a shade darker than most of my friends, and i learnt early in life to regress and hide in the shadows. i come from a community where dark skinned people have a special place in childhood taunting games called mchongwano. in these games, there is a series of choice phrases used to shoo away the dark-skinned person - dark-skinned people are so black they do not have shadows, or so black, day turns into night when they walk into rooms, or so pitch black that it is possible to see their fingerprints on charcoal. but such games are taken as norm and fun, more like the 'yo mama' jokes/games in the african american community. we all grew up accepting these games, in fact, playing them, embracing them, laughing at ourselves.however, i have asked myself in the recent years, just how dangerously we have embraced white ideology. why do we automatically see ourselves as more beautiful and acceptable because of our skin-tones, why have black people generally bought into the concept of the ‘whiter the better’? and why oh why do i have to constantly be dragged into it? for every time dark skin is scoffed at, i feel it as if it were a personal insult. it does not matter if this takes place in the media, or in song, or in social circles i am part of.

it is our thought patterns of ourselves as black people that have led to such dire consequences as having dark skinned brothers and sisters trying to smear themselves with skin lightening creams, what ngugi wa thiongo so eloquently writes about in his stories, and in the process burning themselves and hurting themselves. often, it is something we experience within our own social groups, the slight disapproval because the many years in the sun has only managed to make you darker, the lack of 'fairness' of skin, that pumps new skin-cream products into the market, the flurry of it all! sometimes i play a game. i watch tv adverts in the hope of catching a really really dark alek wek like model being used to promote a beauty product, or being used as a mark of true beauty, or even in music videos, just one glimpse that we as black people are beginning to realize that we are one, and all beautiful. i lose all the time, but still i try. i remember listening to a radio programme on a local fm station. it was a late night show where callers were being encouraged to use the medium as a space for finding new love. the dj had people calling in to describe what kind of men/women they had in mind. most of those who called had one consistent demand: they must be light skinned! yo! imagine a poor teenage girl or boy sitting somewhere longing for love but never having the courage to go the route others were taking!in your books, specifically black looks and salvation, you suggest that black people have to learn to love themselves from inside. but i am in a society where black people have embraced the violence of oppression so much that it is spilling onto their ability to love and embrace each other. i am in a society where to be of a certain skin tone means people will want your blood at a certain period and point in time. i write this to you, not in a splurge of self-pity, but as an outsider. for i am outside of me as i write, me who has reached a stage in my life where i no longer matter. but certain issues have to be voiced, recorded. i believe if we want to fight the bigger monster called white supremacy that has made sure the black person's lot has remained at the level of destitute, that we have to love one another. but we are all so busy struggling to get better, richer, lighter, better, richer, lighter and standing in line to receive compliments. i trust that we should develop a new way of looking at ourselves, a new way of appreciating ourselves and a new way of understanding, so that the generation that comes after us may begin to understand how we survived in a system as vile as the one we live in now.

yours,

skinless

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She has no place in paradise

Dear bell and skinless

Have you ever read something that made you feel like you’d been punched in the stomach? I felt like that when I read Egyptian writer Nawal el Saadawi’s short story ‘She has no place in paradise’. The story is about a rural dark skinned Egyptian woman, born into subservience, observing her Muslim tradition and Egyptian culture unquestioningly. She served daily, was beaten by her father, given into marriage to an older man who also beat her and showed her no love or care, even she says when he lay on her. Her husband died years before, and the story begins with her own death and entry into what seems to be paradise. This dead woman relates the story matter-of-factly and in the end, she finally she proceeds to the red-brick palace-like house that she sees in the distance and enters a bedroom bathed in light. On the bed she identifies her husband, clothed like a bridegroom sitting between two women. “Both of them wore transparent robes revealing skin as white as honey, their eyes filled with light, like the eyes of houris [virgin of paradise, according to Islam].... Her hand was still on the door. She pulled it behind her and it closed. She returned to the earth saying, to herself: There is no place in paradise for a black woman.”

I can’t explain to you the pain I felt at reading these words. As I mentioned earlier, it wasn’t an emotionally drawn out morose realisation, but I was rather bothered by the ‘factual’ way with which the hierarchy which situates dark skinned women at the bottom was stated. I wanted to scream out against it. I am a caramel coloured woman, not light or dark skinned, but I have long understood the importance of white or lighter skin. My Indian culture is full of racial idiosyncratic behaviour that values the fair skinned woman as a trophy, not only for her ‘beauty’, but for the fair skinned children she is likely to produce. Lucky for me, both the Tamil and Muslim sides of my family are all dark skinned, so skin colour was not an issue (as long as none of us ventured across the racial boundaries, which proved a lot harder as I grew older). But I did notice what friends of mine went through when they were judged by the colour of their skin and was shocked as I gained more black and coloured friends to realise that the fair skinned/dark skinned woman dichotomy seems to plague various communities of people of colour around the world.
Last year I got a group email from a Kenyan man friend which read,
‘I have been to alot of places in this world but honestly, I have never seen a country that is so full of extremely beautiful women as Ethiopia. Got here this morning, going back soon but, honestly, I don’t wonna go home, it’s just too damn much. ...I have never seen a concentration of so many cute light skinned sistas as I have seen today. I swear it’s a wonder. Kama the wildebeest migration in the mara. It’s on that level.’
Another mail recipient answered back, ‘Then, again you need to go to Venezuela & Brazil and see the real wildbeast migration’. At this point I spoilt the party by writing an irritable response to my friend questioning why he had sent me such sexist drivel, not only showing black men still being hung up on lighter skinned women, but then comparing them to wild animals. My friend M. apologised profusely, saying that it was just a lot of ‘jive’ talk between him and his ‘boys’ and that he was sorry he got me involved in any of it and that they were a decent bunch of blokes with proper relationships with their women. What is interesting about this mindset is that the men who hanker after light skinned women are themselves often quite dark skinned but see no contradiction with this. Time and time again I have heard men – and women – from my own Indian community and from other African countries speak of the fair skinned woman as a prize, an embodiment of purity and a signifier of social standing. There is no reference to this women’s intellect, to her deeds, her education, her beliefs.
So what hope is there then for a dark skinned woman in a world that reflects white? My friend D. is dark skinned and I remember when I first saw her, that I admired her ‘ebony planes’ (insider joke). Not because it was exotic, but because it was unblemished, because she was strikingly beautiful, because certain colours that she wore accentuated the contrast and hence her individuality and because she is terribly smart. For the same reason, I have liked the model Alek Wek. When I see her on the pages of my magazine, I don’t confuse her with any other model. She is outstanding and yes, there are many other women from Sudan who might look like her, but there are none on the pages of my magazine. Alek Wek does not sit in some comfort zone of model look-alikes i.e., the light skinned black woman with an acceptably small nose and lips, dyed hair and emerald/light brown eyes. Alek looks like women I see around me, images that I have seen of other African women. She is unashamedly dark skinned, and while there may be a whole Western world out there that might want to exoticise her darkness, there is a generation of black girls that are growing up seeing a dark skinned woman on runways and glossy fashion magazines.
More and more recently I’ve been questioning the genesis of this obsession of Other cultures with fair skinned women (especially within their own culture). Is it simply a matter of colonisation and Other cultures being exposed to the ‘charms’ of blonde hair, white skin and blue eyes? As much as I could understand that, a part of me says that can’t account for all of it. I mean within cultures there have been ranges of skin colour which still value fairer skinned people. I must confess to not knowing literature which could help me understand where this mentality comes from, yet it is so pervasive in so many cultural products and forms. Can we blame the Greeks for this too? Anybody know any good readings out there, please feel free to let me in on it.

TGWCR

Dino said...

I suspect Tony Morrison's "The Bluest Eyes" speaks to this? Need to read it.